VA » Health Care » Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center » Features
Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center
- Two Lovell hospitals - 100 years of caring
- A decade before astronaut James Lovell was born, World War I-era soldiers and veterans received care at Lovell Hospital at Fort Sheridan, then an Army base a short drive from today's Lovell Federal Health Care Center.
- Putting Heart Disease at Ease
- An interdisciplinary team at Lovell FHCC recently developed a new Heart Failure Toolkit which aims to help patients with heart failure manage their symptoms and live their lives to the fullest.
- Two heroes meet; Lovell visits hospice patient
- In his last days, Lovell Federal Health Care Center veteran patient's involvement with Apollo 13 mission was recognized by former NASA astronaut, retired Navy Captain James A. Lovell.
- Navy Corpsmen Gain Trauma Experience at Stroger
- Hospital corpsmen complete a six-week rotation at Stroger Hospital in Chicago, the last phase of a new Clinical Trauma Training Experience based at the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago.
- Veterans help doctors-in-training
- Lovell FHCC outpatients help Rosalind Franklin University, Chicago Medical School, first-year medical students learn how to provide compassionate health care to military veterans.
- Expanded Hematology and Oncology clinic opens
- Not by choice, Hematology and Oncology is a second home to many patients, some who have returned regularly for life-saving treatment. It was with thanks that some not only attended but participated in a ribbon-cutting.
- Canine Celebrity Visits Lovell FHCC
- On June 19, Charlie, the Today Show’s “Puppy with a Purpose” – whose training to become a service dog for a military veteran has been regularly featured on the NBC-TV morning show, visited Lovell FHCC.
- Volunteer Donates WWII POW Diary to Museum
- Writings and mementos from a soldier who spent months in Stalag Luft III will be preserved for all to view at the Illinois Holocaust Museum and Education Center in Skokie, Ill.
- Chaplains' self-sacrifice inspires Lovell crowd
- The compelling story of four U.S. military chaplains’ self-sacrifice at sea occurred more than 74 years ago, but a program honoring their lives still drew a rapt audience to FHCC.
- FHCC leads way for Zika testing of donated blood
- Lovell Federal Health Care Center launches FDA-mandated Zika testing protocols in record time to preserve the supply of fresh and frozen blood products for the nation's military.