Audiology Frequently Asked Questions - Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My HealtheVet badge
Lovell FHCC Medical Homeport
Help for Homeless Veterans 877-4AID-VET
How Are We Doing
Interactive Customer Evaluation Your feedback will help us maintain the quality of excellence you expect.
Armed Services Blood Program.

Audiology Frequently Asked Questions

Audiology Staff

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center offers comprehensive care services to eligible Veterans, Active Duty and their dependents with hearing, balance, tinnitus, speech, language, and swallowing disorders.

What Audiology Services are provided?

VA audiologists provide screening and prevention services; evaluation and treatment of hearing loss, balance disorders; and auditory rehabilitation services to optimize residual hearing. Audiologists are specialists in providing hearing aids and other assistive listening devices (e.g. TV and telephone amplifiers).

How common is hearing loss?

Auditory system disabilities (including hearing loss and tinnitus) are among the most common service-related disabilities in every period of service since WWII. Over 731,000 Veterans have service-connected hearing loss and over 800,000 have service-connected tinnitus. These two conditions are the two most common service-connected disabilities, representing about 10 percent of all disabilities.

Who is eligible for Audiology care?

Specific eligibility rules apply to hearing aid services. The following Veterans who are receiving VA care or services are eligible for hearing aid services:

  • Veterans who are receiving compensation for service-connected disabilities, or who have non-compensable service connected disability for hearing loss
  • Former POWs, Medal of Honor and Purple Heart recipients, or are receiving increased pension based on the need for regular aid and attendance or being permanently housebound

VA provides hearing aids in special circumstances such as:

  • When hearing loss results from diseases or other medical conditions for which the Veteran is receiving care or services from VA, or that results from treatment of that medical condition (e.g., ear disease, traumatic brain injury, or toxicity from medications, or therapeutic agents).
  • When an audiologist determines the degree of the Veteran’s hearing loss restricts communication and affects their active participation in their health care services

Veterans interested in obtaining VA services should contact their local VA audiology clinic for assistance.